Saturday, September 11, 2010

why not eat dinner and watch TV at the same time?

So here i sit, in our lovely little dining room, eating dinner (yes, that I have cooked) next to my husband also eating dinner (the living room has lately become the "eat dinner, do homework, and watch TV all at once" room. I told Evan this habit of ours will have to stop once we have kids. Until then, why NOT eat dinner and watch TV at the same time?) and I'm realizing that, now that we have our shiny new internet installed, i have no good excuse but to keep all of you crazed fans of my blog updated on our life. Brace yourself, this will be exciting.

1. my job: love it. granted, i didnt at first. The only reason i did not love my job from the start is because the baby that i care for was refusing to take a bottle. She had been nursing for her entire 3 months of life, and had decided that that was the only way she would receive her food. What this meant of course, was that for the eight hours a day i spent with her, she was starving. And 3 month old people dont calmly approach you and explain that they have a distaste for that item you are trying to put in their mouth. The conversation really goes more like this: "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!" Needless to say, this created a great amount of stress for me. There were moments i cried with her. really. Now, however, 2 weeks and approximately 6 different kinds of bottles later, she will almost joyfully drink the entirety of the bottle she is given. It must be from one specific bottle, and must be no more or less then her exact desired temperature (which is tricky to find without a thermometer), but she is taking it. Which means she's happy for me, and will sleep all night for mom. Everyone wins.
Now that baby and I are friends, my job is great. There are times i want to pull my hair out, with a three year old, two year old, and an infant, but for the most part, it has turned out to be easier than i thought. All it takes is threatening a lot of time-outs. Kidding... sorta. The kids are really precious, though. Their names are Jack, Ryan, and Erin, and Im already falling in love with them. I hate to think that after a year of spending 40+ hours a week with them, i have to leave them. I try not to think about that though, and just enjoy their little lives while i can.

2. Evan: way too much homework. Thats how i can sum up him. He really has quite the load this semester (and probably next, too). Pretty much as soon as he gets home, he starts his homework, and works until we go to bed at 10. 10 because we get up at 6, and im really crabby if i get less than 8 hours of sleep, and i cant go to bed without him. So his bedtime is also 10. Then as soon as he is up, its back to the books until we leave the house, then more work once he's at school. It makes it kind of hard during the week. By the time he gets home, we only have about 3 1/2 hours until we go to bed, and we dont really get to spend any of it "together." I think that we have started to accept this and adjust to it, though. Its just how monday through thursday has to be. Weekends we finally get to hang out a little bit. So what do i do during this time? Well, tonight i am blogging (which i know thrills you all), I have a sewing project started (and by started, I mean mom helped me cut everything out, gave me some instructions, and i havent picked it up since), and lately i have been watching the Lord of the Rings special features on the extended editions. This is actually really exciting for me. I hadnt seen any Lord of the Rings until about 2 weeks ago, and now have seen all three extended editions and am so addicted im watching all the special features. This is really exciting for Evan, because LOTR are his favorite movies, and he's been trying to get me to lay down my pride and watch them already since before we were even together. I hate to admit how much i like the movies. But i keep myself busy. Maybe one of these days I'll crochet an afghan. Or read a book. Ok, probably not read a book.

3. I've started P90X. For those of you who dont know what P90X is, its basically a way intense home fitness program, and what i believe to be self-destructive behavior. Since the weather will be getting colder soon, and i no longer live on campus with a free gym, i needed something to keep me working out every day. Ive slacked off a bit since getting married, and i refuse to let myself go. So, P90X it is. The verdict: it was high time for me to start working out my arms. and every other muscle i didnt know existed and is currently prohibiting me from performing normal daily tasks... like walking up stairs. I keep telling myself its worth it, though. If i keep at it all winter long, im going to be in crazy shape. I'll be like one of those female body builders with muscles bulging out of my sleeves. uh... i hope not.

4. Also -and this is blog-worthy- i cut my hair. I was getting antsy and decided the best thing to do would be to chop off about 4 inches. Evan much protested at first, because he was quite attached to my long hair, but then i explained to him that basically, for as long as he has known me, i have been growing it out for our wedding. I usually dont go longer than a few months without changing my hair color, cut, or style. Its just the kind of woman i am. I finally got his blessing, chopped it off, AND he loves it. And he doubted...

5. We have begun to talk about, pray about, and think about plans for next year (not necessarily in that order). Grad school is a must for both of us, and we are already in the process of researching, applying, and considering new jobs and housing. I hate to already be thinking about moving when we just got here, but its kind of the stage of life we are in right now.

6. I think thats about it for our update. Its not much, but im realizing that i really like our little life. We are way blessed. Sometimes i am blown away by all that we have. We have a great apartment which we love (as long as we dont have too many things plugged in at the same time as the air conditioner), a job which pays more than we expected, a new, challenging, exciting, so-much-fun-we-should-have-done-it-earlier marriage, and an incredible God maintaining control over it all. And so far, i haven't ruined any meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment