Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Design on a Dime.

So theres this show on HGTV called "design on a dime." Basically, the job of the designers is to redo an entire room using a budget of 1000 dollars. I love this show, becuase it gives tons of ideas on DIY (do it yourself) home remodeling. So, when i decided i wanted to redo our bedroom, i felt like i was also on the show. Except that i didnt exactly have a budget of 1000 dollars. More like... less than 100. And by less I mean as close to half of that as possible. ANYHOO, i did it! I redid our bedroom using my new favorite color scheme GREY AND YELLOW... and I did everything myself, right down to sewing our new quilt. I have kept track of my expenses.. so that I can show just how easy it is to redo an entire room with not very much money!

First, the before picture of our bedroom. Pretty, yes, but it always felt a little "old" to me. I wanted some colors and design that were more young and fresh, like us :)


And now, the after picture.



Total cost for fabric for quilt: 44 Dollars (including all colors, and backing)
Cost of fabric for curtain: 5 dollars (it looks like its hanging all weird and lopsided in this picture.. in real life it hangs nicely.)
Cost of piece of fabric for art: 1.50 dollars
Cost of frame: 0 dollars (Im not ashamed that I picked this out of someones trash.)

Additional room peices and cost:

Flowers: 4 dollars (Hobby Lobby sale!)
Vase: 0 dollars (only becuase I already had it.. but when i did buy it, i only spent a few dollars at a thrift store.)


Love this peice!
Vase/Jar thingie: 5 dollars (garage sale)
Can of spray paint to make it a matching statement peice: 4 dollars

Total cost for room makeover: 63.50

It was so much fun making everything and trying to figure out the cheapest way to do everything! My momma taught me well :)

2 comments:

  1. NICE! Love it... I think you have an eye for design. Looks great, and makes me want to re-do something :)

    ReplyDelete